Nothing kicks off spring (or summer) quite like a fresh green bowl of creamy fruits and veggies.
With how hot it’s been out this past week, the thought of eating warm meals just makes me feel like melting on the spot. Instead of a typical salad dinner, I decided to try something new and come up with an extra heat-friendly dinner: a green smoothie bowl. Somehow, it was my first time making a true green smoothie. It was cool, creamy, refreshing, and contained pretty much all the same ingredients as the salad–with the addition of my customary after-dinner fruit! It was like a healthy meal and a decadent dessert all together in one bowl.
It was so filling, and unbelievably delicious; I was shocked by how well it turned out considering I had to throw it together with what I happened to have on hand. This would also make a wonderful breakfast–I’ll definitely be having it more often!
Makes one bowl / 3 cups worth.
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 cup or 2 big handfuls spinach
- 3/4-1 cup soy, almond, or coconut milk
- Hemp protein powder (optional)
- 1/2 frozen banana (optional)
- 1-3 ice cubes (optional)
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- Fresh ginger or powder: 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped, for topping
Other add-in ideas: Beets, blueberries, chia seeds, flax seed, psyllium
1. Set aside a quarter to a half of your apple to use for topping. Put the rest of it in a blender along with the avocado, cucumber, spinach, 1/2 cup milk, fresh ginger, and other optional add-ins. Blend until combined. Add 1/4 cup more milk, or until the mixture has reached your desired consistency.
2. Pour into bowl, and top with leftover apple pieces, walnuts, and chopped crystallized ginger.
And that’s it–enjoy!
Serving size: entire recipe (3 cups). Calories: 440