After a long week of eating huge meals at restaurants at least once (but often twice) a day, I decided I needed to do some serious “cleansing;” or at least control my calorie intake, and cut out the treats and fatty foods I’ve been eating all week. In my quest to come up with healthy but light dishes, I ended up making what may be the lowest calorie soup possible. But at the same time, it’s somehow filling. I had a lot of leftover miso paste from making a faux goat cheese dip I’ll be sharing with you guys later, so I decided I had to finally try making miso soup from scratch. However, being me, I had to throw in as many veggies as possible; plain miso soup just doesn’t count as a meal to me!
This soup is perfect for a diet/cleanse/however you’d like to refer to it. It’s clean, vegan, delicious, ridiculously easy to make, and has the proteins and veggies I’ve been trying to incorporate. Unless I find an even better soup, this one is probably going to be my go-to diet soup from now on! (Although my mushroom and tomato concoctions are a close second.)
All of these are approximates; play around with the amounts according to your preferences! Also, any vegetables you like can be subbed for the carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Or, you can omit them for a classic miso soup.
- 1/5 container firm tofu, sliced into small cubes
- 2-3 tbs red miso paste, to taste (if you use yellow, you may need more)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- Handful of kale or seaweed, ripped into pieces
- 1-2 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 5-7 baby carrots
- 1 stalk of celery
- 3-4 mushrooms
- Dash of sriracha sauce (if you like spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine miso paste and water/broth in a pot over medium heat.
2. Chop your veggies and tofu as the soup heats, and add them to the pot as you go.
3. Simmer until veggies are tender, and season with sriracha and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Note: If you let it sit for long enough, the miso will cloud up in the center. This is normal for miso soup; just give it a stir and you’re good to go!
Enjoy your light and delicious meal!