Some say that the “Breakfast of Champions” consists of eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, maybe some pancakes slathered with syrup. For me, however, a true champion’s breakfast is a big vegan bowl of creamy fruit, low calorie and packed with vitamins and antioxidants. Although it’s still unknown to many, the popularity of the Acai bowl is spreading like wildfire. Pronounced ah-sa-yee, these little purple berries are increasingly being touted as the next big “superfood.” Regardless of the potential health benefits, once you try the acai bowl, I guarantee you’ll keep on craving it!
I am known to order acai bowls whenever going out to breakfast with my friends. And they’re known to steal spoonfuls here and there. I decided I had to finally try making it myself; I simply couldn’t go any longer without it. It only took me about 10 minutes, and I actually found I liked it better than what I’d been served at restaurants! Not to mention, my version has no added sugar, whereas restaurants often like to pour honey on top.
Anyways, on to the recipe. Feel free to play around with the proportions, because I just winged it!
Also, cheater’s note: if you don’t have access to any acai whatsoever, this recipe still turns out deliciously with just the other kinds of fruit!
(Amounts are estimates/ranges; tweak them to your liking!)
- 1/8 cup or more Acai powder (Or acai juice if you can’t find any powder)
- 1/2-1 cup frozen mixed berries
- One half frozen banana, sliced
- 1/2-3/4 cup of soymilk, coconut water, or apple juice (I used a combination of the three. Use as much liquid as you want depending on your desired consistency)
- Toppings: Granola (I used homemade!), shredded coconut, agave nectar, sliced fresh fruit, cereal, etc.
- Add all ingredients to a blender, starting with only a half cup of your chosen liquid(s), and blend until smooth. Add liquid until your desired consistency is achieved. If it ends up too liquidy, add crushed ice and blend.
- Pour into bowl, and add toppings.
And that’s it! Enjoy your healthy, guilt free breakfast.
Also, I literally just made a Churros n Chai facebook page! Follow me for more updates, photos, and tips than I post here.