First, I’d like to start with a disclaimer: Low calorie is a relative term. So, although these brownies are lower calorie than their high fat counterparts, they should still be eaten in moderation if part of a diet plan!
Now that that’s over with, I’m sure many of you are like me in that you want to stay or become svelte, but have an insatiable sweet tooth. Or, worse yet, you share my obsession with baking. And we all know that constant baking and a trim figure do not go well together.
So, before hanging out with my rather voracious friends, I decided to whip up some fudgy brownies that we could all enjoy! Better yet, the leftovers stayed moist and delicious for about a week in the fridge.
Modified from this recipe.
Makes a 13×9″ or 9×9″ pan of brownies (depending on how thick you want them)
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips + 1 tbs for topping
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a pan of your choice (I used 13×9″; smaller sizes such as 9×9″ will yield thicker brownies.)
2. Dissolve espresso powder into the hot water.
3. Melt together chocolate chips and butter in microwave using the available melt settings, or on high for 1 minute until everything is melted.
4. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. In another bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, the butter/chocolate chip mixture, and the espresso mixture.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until combined and the lumps are gone.
6. Spread evenly into pan, and sprinkle the top evenly with the 1tbs chocolate chips (or as much as you desire).
7. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes for a 13×9″ pan, and more for a smaller pan. Bake until the top is set, but a toothpick still yields a few crumbs. This is the key to fudginess!
Note: this recipe is male-tested and approved.