Ingredients: 1. Junk-food induced guilt: 0. Could ice cream get much better?
When my friend showed me this recipe, I knew I had to try it. All it takes is a banana, a freezer, and a food processor. I always like to explore a little bit further, though, so I’ll include different flavoring ideas I’ve come up with!
(All photos and instructions are my own)
Time: 10 minutes active, 1 hour inactive
Optional flavoring choices:
- Chocolate chips or cocoa powder
- Peanut butter
- Strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries
- Acai (I love my banana-acai smoothies!)
(Just to clarify: each flavor is intended for separate batches. Except I personally love the peanut butter and chocolate together!)
1. Slice the banana into discs, put in a bowl in the freezer until they are frozen solid, about an hour.
2. Put the frozen slices into the food processor and pulse them, scraping down sides regularly. It will start out coarse, but don’t worry! Just keep pulsing and it will magically transform into a lovely ice cream texture at some point.
3. Blend in your flavorings, if any. So far I’ve tried a peanut butter and chocolate chip combo, as well as a cinnamon batch. They’ve both tasted great!
4. Remove mixture from food processor once smooth and blended. At this point, it could be depressingly sludgy and/or melty. (My sad little photo looks like pudding, doesn’t it?) Not to worry, though! Just pop the bowl back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or until frozen to your liking.
5. Top it however you’d like, and enjoy it with the knowledge that you’re essentially just eating fruit!
Let me know what you think!
Thanks for reading,